Tuesday, August 2, 2016

It's time to wake up!

Well, I'd better get in on this #MTBoSBlaugust deal because I haven't written a thing all summer.  I don't know exactly how to "join," so I'll just say sign me up!

My goals are simply to start writing about this journey again. I am going to set myself a goal of 15 blog posts this month. That's one every other day, so here is the first one.

I don't really have anything pithy to say right now. I haven't really got any excuses for not accomplishing all I was hoping to accomplish this summer other than I just didn't do it all. Still, I did get a few books read and a lot of thinking done. I still have about 10 days to get busy.

Yesterday, I went into my classroom for the first time since the end of June. Picture this: All of the desks and chairs have been returned to the room. The desks are conglomerated into this large disorganized pile in the middle of the room while the chairs are in stacks over on one side. My desk is approximately where it ought to be except it is not pushed back far enough, so the spare tables that live in front of it don't fit, necessitating another disorganized pile of tables by the window. Everything is stuck to the floor because of the fresh wax job, but I manage to break my desk free and move it back.

Next, I begin the laborious job of pulling out everything that has been crammed into the cupboards over the summer and attempting to sort it all out and set it up the way I like it. I make the near-fatal mistake of opening one of my desk drawers. Every summer the janitors seem to find more creative ways to scramble the contents of my desk when they move it. This year, it appears that they have turned it upside down and given it several good shakes before returning it to the classroom. I end up removing all of the drawers, spilling binder clips, toothpicks and AAA batteries into every possible nook and dark recess in the body of the desk for good measure, then diving into the desk to clear all of that mess out before sorting and reorganizing the drawers.

I have a long way to go before I am ready.






No comments:

Post a Comment