Sunday, April 9, 2017

Finally, I have something to say! (Or maybe just the time to say it)

It's not that I haven't had anything to say... I just haven't had time to say it!
This year, I have had a lot going on:
Eureka Math--Rolling this curriculum out in 4 classes has been crazy.
This year's theme: Welcome to the Math Party--trying to find ways to help students develop better attitudes about math and see that they can do it has been a real challenge. Many of our students seem to have this ingrained belief that "math is hard." It makes them passive and unwilling to take even the smallest of risks. After 3/4 of a year, I still can't get my Algebra 1 class to open up and contribute. More on this later.
Mathematical Mindsets--we attended two trainings at Stanford with Jo Boaler and company which was fabulous. Figuring out how to integrate this information with Eureka Math has been time consuming. It has really helped contribute to the Math Party theme, but I would like to do a better job of it.
WASC--yes, high school accreditation ate my brain for about the first half of the year. I think I did a sort of crash and burn after it was over that I was finally able to claw my way out of last month.  I feel like I have my second wind now--maybe that's why I'm writing this!
Grades--I continued my descent into hippy-hood when it comes to grades. I have learned so much about myself and my students and maybe next year I will even develop a coherent vision of what I am trying to achieve here. Either that or I will go completely around the bend and refuse to issue grades altogether!
Desmos--God, I wanted to do so much more here. I just needed to teach the Eureka stuff for a year to help me learn where and how I want to plug Desmos into the program. I did a few things, but I'm hoping to spend some time this summer putting together more activities and figuring out where to add them to the sequence so that great learning happens. On the plus side, my students think Polygraphs are the bomb! I'm working on putting one together that our English teacher could use and unveiling it during a tech training in the next few weeks.
Twitter--I won't lie--I spent very little time on Twitter this year. This week has been the NCTM Annual Conference in San Antonio and I have been eating my heart out following it (on Twitter). I figured that the district paid for me to see Boaler twice, and to go to CUE, and they are sending me for some Eureka training this summer--I wasn't going to ask for NCTM on top of that. I wish now I'd paid for it out of pocket, but following it on Twitter was almost as good. I can't wait to see the Ignite's and ShadowCon's--if anything, those are what I regret missing the most.
Books--I've been reading "Becoming the Math Teacher You Wish You'd Had." I'm a high school teacher and I am getting soooo much out of Zager's prose. I wish I had enough money to buy copies for all of the elementary teachers in our district!
Blogging--didn't happen. My grand plan is to expand on some of the above craziness and what I have learned because it has been substantial.

1 comment: