1. #MtBos is the best thing to happen to me in 25 years of teaching. It has reenergized me and I feel like I've received more PD in the last year on Twitter and exploremtbos than I did in the first 25.
2. The first thing I did after I downloaded the conference app was to search out all of the presentations by the people I have been following on twitter and #mtbos. Saw what I really needed to see. Never saw a bad, dull or boring presentation! Usually I'm fried by the last day. This time I couldn't believe it was over.
3. ShadowCon was amazing!! But I have to choose just ONE call to action?
4. Must. Build. Time. Machine. BEFORE San Antonio! Too many times I had to choose between not just two, but three or four presentations I really wanted to see.
5. The folks at Desmos have an absolutely brilliant vision for configuring what Desmos can do to cause students to think about math rather than give students answers. "Computer as
oracle vs computer as way to think." (can't remember which, but that was Luberoff or Merrill.)
6. It is totally worth it to stand in the hall and watch Robert Kaplinski's presentation through the door until somebody leaves and you can get in! I loved the comparison of complicated to complex. Teaching math is complex, not complicated!
7. Andrew Stadel's double number line for solving equations--wow!
8. And I must be cooler than I thought because I have given the students the "All of the following are incorrect" assignment. Definitely planning to use this more now. I've done it as a quiz review, but I really like the idea of using it to generate class discussion of a new topic. "Find your exponents..."
9. Also from Andrew Stadel--Feedback that moves the learning forward—Dylan
William
10. Cathy Seely said to make two signs, but I am going to make three.
1. In this class, mistakes are expected, inspected and respected.
2. Math is supposed to make sense!
3. "The study of mathematics can help develop critical habits of mind--
* to distinguish evidence from anecdote
* to recognize nonsense
* to understand chance, and
* to value proof." (Lynn Steen, Everybody Counts, 1989)
11. The above Steen quote is the best answer I've ever seen to "why do we need to learn this?"
12. DOK or non-routine question, discussion, productive struggle, discussion of mistakes, mindsets, more discussion, more mindsets, more discussion of mistakes! I feel liberated and ahead of the curve for the first time in 20 years. Teaching math is not about getting the answers but developing understanding! We can't wait for textbooks to do this for us. The resources are all out there if we would all just jump onto the internet and start using them. This will require a huge shift in lesson planning, but in the end it will be worth it.
13. Statistics! LOCUS: https://locus.statisticseducation.org is the best resource I've run into yet. They have created items (test questions) covering the four areas identified in the GAISE framework--google that folks! This is a free resource. Items come with answers, distractors, analysis and explanation.
14. But wait! There's more! You can create an account on LOCUS and have them create online tests for your students, get reports, analysis, etc... The sad thing was how few people showed up for this session...
15. You can do regressions on Desmos!
16. If you want to show results of an Activity Builder activity to the class, you can click on the funny guy in the hat and trench coat in the circle above where the names are displayed and it will change all the names to fake ones! (Famous mathematicians no less.)
17. You can copy and paste data from a spreadsheet (Google sheets and Excel) into an expression on Desmos and it will create a graph of your data!
18. "Struggle should be less about frustration and more about trying or doing something new." (Blake Peterson) Productive struggle should be challenging, but within the students' reach.
19. I'm eligible for retirement in two years. Five years ago, I couldn't wait for the day. I was willing to flip burgers at McDonalds to get out of teaching. Now, I don't ever want to quit!
20. My summer reading list.
Creativity (Catmull)
Mathematical Mindsets (Boaler)
Principles to Action (again)
Make it Stick (Brown)
5 Practices for Orchestrating Productive Classroom Discourse (again)
No comments:
Post a Comment