Sunday, May 15, 2016

A little weekend fun, plus...

Posts 14 and 15 of 30 #MTBoS30

I have a good excuse for not posting this yesterday.  No wifi? No problem, right? I'll hot spot. No cell service? Now I have a problem!

This weekend, we went sailing.  My husband and I have a passion for sailing.  It's officially his hobby, but we both enjoy it a great deal.  We have two boats--three if you count the dingy, okay, four if you count the one he is currently building in the garage.  Sailors are kinda that way.

We often sail with a group of folks called the Potter Yachters. These are all people like us who own trailerable sailboats.  Owning trailerable sailboats allows us to sail pretty much anywhere we can find a boat ramp.  We sail all over northern California.  This is most of the group lined up at the dock at a marina on the Mokelumne River getting ready to head out for an adventure.


Conditions on Saturday were what we refer to as "sporting." Sporting is tough on some of the smaller boats, but we all made it to our destination marina.  Everyone headed to the restaurant for a late lunch, but David and I headed back out for more adventure. At that point, conditions began to devolve into whatever comes after sporting--something like holy cow batman! We had a great sail for a couple of hours that ended with us taking a wave over the bow that thoroughly soaked both of us.  Time to head back in...

This is the view over the bow of Nighthawk, our 21 foot Balboa as we sail wing and wing up the San Joaquin river on Sunday morning.  My original plan was to post some pictures and blog from the marina Saturday night, but since I had no service, I thought I'd go ahead and include this picture.  Today's conditions were much nicer.  The cut you see that we are heading to is the mouth of the Mokelumne River.  It is usually pretty tough to sail up the Moke because of wind conditions, but we were pleased to be able to sail almost all the way back.

I was going to split this into two blog posts, but that just seems silly now.  So here's post two:

I'm curious how many math teachers have a real life outside of school.  I read so many blog posts by math teachers that I think I am getting this skewed view of how everybody lives. Do you all stay at work until 6 o'clock every evening? How do you get all of this great planning done? I'm reading about such great lessons, but how do you pull it off? Do you have hobbies and passions outside of school? Or do you only do them during the summer?

I tend to go home right after school 2-3 days a week so I can play with my horses. Horses are my official hobby. I do all of my planning and grading at night and early in the morning. Still, trying to develop and plan out really high quality lessons seems to be eating up most of my time lately.  It concerns me to think that in order to be a better teacher, I have to cut back on most things fun. And lesson planning is fun--I'm not saying that. I love it when I come up with an interesting or creative idea that I can turn into a Desmos activity, a math fight, or just a great lesson followed by discussion. It's just that I've become obsessed with work I guess. I feel a little sad to think that my priorities have changed so much.

 Maybe it is just the ebb and flow of things. Maybe it's because MTBoS has turned out to be such a great resource that I am overwhelmed with ideas right now. Maybe I'm just overwhelmed! We are adopting Engage New York next year and I feel like I am going to spend my entire summer trying to meld ENY to the 5 Practices to Math Talks to the Desmos Activity Builder.  My horses will be happy!






No comments:

Post a Comment