Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The end of the year blues...

Post 11--#MTBoS30

I'm reading a lot of other folks' posts about what they do at the end of the year.  Some teachers use this for enrichment time. Others do more experimentation with methods. For me, this is a time of trying to cram in everything I didn't get to in time for state testing before finals. Honestly, I don't know how people do it.  Things were supposed to get better with the CCSSM.  Maybe the elementary teachers are seeing a change, but I still feel like I'm cramming about one and a half year's worth of material into one school year.

Still, it is also a time for looking forward.  We are transitioning to EngageNY next year so I am spending some time planning for next year by going through the curriculum now.  I like what I have seen so far.  The suggested times are almost laughable, though--three minutes for this, two for discussion, 4 for that problem, etc... I'm not buying them. And I'm not buying the belief that I will get through a year's worth of EngageNY any sooner than I am getting through my current program.  One advantage I can see is that currently, I am working my way through the California Framework by adapting my old curriculum and bringing in whatever I can find to supplement it.  In spite of the fact that I will be "learning" a new program, I still think it is going to be a timesaver.

I'm also curious how ENY is going to mesh with the 5 practices, Jo Boaler's ideas, math talks and my burgeoning set of activities using the Activity Builder on Desmos.  I am already going through the modules looking for places where those apply to what is in ENY.  I'm really hoping not to have to do too much "adapting."  Anybody familiar with ENY?  Any sage advice?

How about for the elementary teachers in the district? The county is trying to form a math advisory committee next year and I hope one of our functions would be to support the elementary teachers. Most of them have never even heard of Number Talks or Jo Boaler.  Some of them are interested in mindsets. I'd love to be able to give them some ideas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment